Yeast infections are common infections caused by Candida albicans yeast.
Yeast infections is a type of fungus which usually happen in warm, moist parts of the body, such as the mouth, and moist areas of skin.
There are several natural remedies to get rid of yeast infections for good.
Today, we will be discussing on how baking soda can be used to get rid of the two most worrisome yeast infections which are:
- Vulvovaginal Candidiasis (also known as Vaginal yeast infection)
- Oral Candidiasis (also know as thrush).
How to Diagnose Yeast Infection Bacteria
Yeast is diagnosed often times by looking under the microscope and carrying out a culture to ascertain it is yeast infection bacteria.
Though it’s very easy to get a slide and look under the microscope for what looks like a cluster of grapes.
Continue reading to learn how you can use baking soda to treat yeast infections.
How to use Baking Soda for Yeast Infection
Baking Soda For Vaginal Yeast Infection
Yeast in and off itself is more annoying than worrisome. Yeast grows more comfortably in a woman’s vagina alongside other good bacteria.
Sometimes when women take antibiotics for a strep throat or some other infections, the normal bacteria that grows in the vagina is killed off, prompting the yeast to overgrow and that is what a vaginal yeast infection is.
Sometimes if this happens mid cycle, by the time your period comes it will flush the yeast out and there is no problem.
Other times the itching is so annoying, and you may not want to wait for your period to flush it out, you can go see your doctor who will diagnose the yeast as he often does his patients.
Home Remedies for Vaginal Yeast Infection:
Baking Soda Bath
A baking soda bath is always comforting. Ensure to drink plenty ofwater before taking a baking soda bath.
Try creating a relaxing atmosphere using soft lights, candles, and soothing music to help you relax while you bathe. You may wish to dry brush your skin ahead of time.
- Put a handful of baking soda into the bathtub. This much lukewarm water, slosh it till the water dissolve.
- Sit very unladylike in the water and slush the water at your itchy bottom for 10 to 40 minutes and you will feel a whole lot better.
- I actually ask you to use this along with either a cream that you put in your vagina or a pill form that you take one time.
- It’s approved that you rinse with fresh water after bath. This will help get rid of residue and toxins. You can use a loofah or washcloth to exfoliate and eliminate dead skin cells.
- Always make sure the water is comfortably warm, but never too hot so you don’t end up burning yourself, or getting this faint or lightheaded feeling.
- If the water is hot, it can also remove moisture from your skin. Using lukewarm water will help your skin absorb moisture.
- If you feeling too hot at any point you can add more cool water until it’s an ideal temperature.
After having this reviving, though unladylike baking soda bath you will need the following items:
- A Moisturizer
- Body Drying Towel
- A Bottle of Table Water (1 ltr. minimum)
I. Begin by gently drying your skin with the towel, apply the moisturizer on yourself especially down your vagina to help eradicate any trace of stubborn itch.
II. Afterwards, drink sufficient water (it’s OK if you can empty the 1ltr. into your belly) as this will help to prevent dehydration which often occur with few persons after a baking soda bath.
III. Get a comfortable place to relax, walk gently so you don’t trip and don’t forget to drink enough water, especially if you feel any sign of weakness or dehydration.
Baking Soda with Epsom Salt for Children
- Combine 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoons of Epsom salt in warm bath water.
- Stir rid of it and bath your child lightly.
- You may also use colloidal oatmeal rather of Epsom salt within this process.
If you’ve had a vaginal infection before or not, here are some ways to avoid or prevent it from happening in the future.
Make Use Unscented Products
Products such as scented tampons or pads, some certain soaps and detergents can irritate your vagina, creating an imbalance in natural bacteria.
Use unscented items and soft cleaners. Avoid using powders and scented sprays in the genital area.
Follow Healthy Hygiene
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) advices women against douching. This is because it can kill the good bacteria in the vagina which prevents the infection.
Instead, you should clean only the outer parts of your valve and vagina with mild soap and water.
Put on a Cotton Underwear
Tight-fitting clothing (especially clothing that’s made out of manufactured materials) like nylon and polyester can hold in moisture. Yeast likes to grow in dark, moist places.
Experts advices that women wear cotton underwear or at least underwear with cotton lining in the crotch. Cotton allows more air to flow through the genital area.
Baking Soda for Oral Thrush Infection
Sometime most people experience bodily changes as a result of illness, new medical routine, pregnancy, changes in the immune system or other metabolic occurrences.
This bodily changes in most cases triggers the overgrowth of the yeast bacteria in the mouth, thereby causing an Oral yeast infection (thrush)
It is not difficult to detect and has this common look like a white cottage cheese like plaque inside the mouth.
Sometimes as well, in rare cases, it may appear as red irritated areas inside the mouth.
It occur mostly in babies, immune deficient people and users of steroid sprays for asthma.
In the following section we will look at oral thrush infection.
Home Remedies for Oral Thrush
Your health care provider might also recommend home remedies or lifestyle changes to help treat oral thrush or stop it from coming back.
Here are some home remedies that may help relieve symptoms of thrush.
- Combine 1/2 a teaspoon of Baking Soda in side a glass water until it dissolves.
- Drink this combination 2 times each day before eating.
- Continue consuming this water for just 2 days, after rest for an additional 2 days.
- If you do not have any relief after 2 days then you’ve to repeat exactly the same process.
Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide
- Combine hydrogen peroxide (3%) by 50 percent teaspoons and baking soda to create a paste.
- Make use of this as antifungal tooth paste to clean teeth or also brush the teeth with baking soda and sea salt.
Baking Soda with Fresh Lemon Juice
- Combine 1/4 teaspoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice in 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda.
- Combine this paste in 1 glass water and drink.
- After 15 to 20 minutes, consume 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. Follow this method regularly.
Baking Soda Toothpowder
- After consuming, brush the teeth with baking soda.
- Rinse the mouth area, having a combine prepared 1/2 cup of warm water and 1 teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide.
- Replace your toothbrush when you recover to avoid the problem later on.
To reduce your risk of oral thrush, try to follow these guidelines:
- Eat a nutritious diet and practice an overall healthy lifestyle to support the functioning of your immune system.
- Practice good oral hygiene by brushing your teeth twice a day, flossing every day, and visiting your dentist on a regular basis.
- If your mouth is chronically dry, make out time to see your doctor and follow their recommended treatment plan.
- If you have dentures, discharge them before you go to bed, clean them daily, and make sure they fit properly.
- If you have a corticosteroid inhaler, rinse out your mouth or brush your teeth after using it.
- If you have diabetes, take steps to manage your blood sugar levels.
- If you develop a yeast infection in another part of your body, get treatment. In some cases, an infection can spread from one part of your body to another.
What Is Baking Soda?
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate is an alkaline white powder that’s ubiquitous in modern kitchens.
Is Baking Soda Safe?
Baking soda baths can soothe and relieve yeast infection symptoms. Baking soda can also have a positive effect on vaginal pH.
A 2014 research found that baking soda killed Candida cells that lead to yeast infections. Baking soda has also been found to have general antifungal affects.
Is Baking Soda Bath Safe?
Generally, baking soda baths are well-tolerated by most people. Do not take a baking soda bath if you:
- Are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Have high blood pressure.
- Are prone to fainting.
- Have diabetes.
- Have any open wounds or serious infections
Is Oral Thrush Contagious?
Yes, it is possible to pass the fungus that causes this condition on to someone else if you kiss them. In some cases, that person may develop oral thrush.
Also, If you have a breast yeast infection or nipple yeast infection, you can pass the fungus to your baby while breastfeeding.
Your baby can also transmit the fungus to you if they breastfeed when they have oral thrush.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Vaginal Yeast Infection?
- Pain or burning when urinating or during sex.
- Redness, swelling, or itching of the vulva.
- Itching and irritation in the vagina.
- A thick, white discharge that can look like cottage cheese and is usually odorless, although it might smell like bread or yeast.
If you have any of these symptoms, I’ll advise you to go in and actually get a good diagnosis. You can talk more to your doctor or health care provider.
Why you need to see a doctor if you feel you have Yeast Infections?
It’s so easy to confuse the symptoms of a yeast infection with those of some STDs and other vaginal infections. Your doctor can give you the right diagnosis so that you can be treated properly.
If you have a vagina yeast infection, your doctor can prescribe treatment to clear up the symptoms in a couple of days and cure the infection within a week.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Oral Thrush Infection?
In its early stages, oral thrush may not cause any symptoms. But as the infection gets worse, one or more of the following symptoms may develop:
- White or yellow patches of bumps on your inner cheeks, tongue , tonsils , gums, or lips.
- Slight bleeding if the bumps are scraped.
- Soreness or burning in your mouth.
- A cotton-like sensation in your mouth.
- Dry, cracked skin at the corners of your mouth.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Bad taste in your mouth.
- Loss of taste.
In some cases, oral thrush can affect your esophagus, though this is uncommon. The same fungus that causes oral thrush can also cause yeast infections in other parts of your body.
Precautions of Vaginal Yeast Infection?
Always do a skin patch test before using baking soda on your skin. Apply a baking soda paste to the inside of your inner forearm.
Rinse it off and then wait 24 hours before taking a baking soda bath to see if any reaction occurs.
If you’re making a detox bath and are adding essential oils, you should do a skin patch test for these as well.
Talk to your child’s pediatrician before using baking soda baths for babies.
It’s usually safe as long as you use only a small amount of baking soda and limit their time spent in the bath.
There has been at least one reported case from 1981 of a baby getting hypokalemic metabolic alkalosis by absorbing baking soda through the skin.