Bitter leaf scientifically called Vernonia Amygdalina is a small shrub that grows in the tropical Africa that God deposited to serve us as a vegetable plant and also in complete treatment of some terrible diseases, but it will only work if you reserve the rule and absolute preparation. Bitter leaf is also one of the mostly widely used cooking vegetable plant in Africa, which can be planted in any part of the world.
However, most people aren’t aware that this plant is highly medicinal due to lack of information about this healing shrub which belong to the family of Asteraceae. Botanical name: Vernonia Amygdalina (Bitter leaf) can be used to cure so many illnesses as well as help to keep the body system in good health condition.
Botanical name: Vernonia Amygdalina
Common name: Bitter leaf
Species: V. amygdalina African common names include:
How to Identify Bitter leaf (Vernonia AMYGDALINA
- It is popular known as “ bitter leaf” as a result of it’s bitter taste
- They have veins and are bear pale soft hairs on the underside.
- The petiolate leaf are about 6mm diameter and elliptic shape
- It bears little white flowers, these white flowers bloom in clusters during the springtime
- This plant produces little fruits, which have slightly hairy small nuts inside
Now let us explain in detail how to use bitter leaf as medicine for different type of ailments below. Below are some benefits of Bitter leaf (Vernonia Amygdalina)
Benefits of Bitter leaf (Vernonia Amygdalina)
1) Typhoid: Typhoid is a disease caused by bacteria. consuming bitter leaf is capable to get rid of bacteria that causes typhoid. How to treat typhoid:
- Wash 10-15 the bitter leaf
- Then boil with water
- Wait till it boils and left to 1 cup
- Then remove and let it cool water, then filter the water and add the honey then drink
- Do it this way regularly by drinking 3 times daily,(1 cup)
2) Malaria: Malaria is a illness that is caused by the parasite plasmodium. To cure malaria, here’s how to make it:
- Wash 10-15 the leaf, boiled in 4 cups of water.
- Allow up to 2 cups of water to stay alone. Drink 3 times a day.
3) Diabetes: Andrographolide is the main active content in bitter leaf that serves to lower the levels of glucose in the blood. Research, carried out in Munawara college from Faculty of Pharmacy in 2004, bitter leaf decoction can reduce blood glucose levels in male rats. Below is how to mix the leaf and make it as a diabetes medicine:
- Bitter leaf approximately 5 grams of fresh leaves, pour 1 cup of hot water (boiled), after the cold and then filter.
- Extract then drink 2 times daily (morning and evening after meals)
4) Appendicitis: Appendicitis occurs when the appendix becomes pus-filled swelling and inflamed. This could be as a result of blockage by foreign object like tiny stones, guava seeds and as a result of unboiled grains(per boiled grains) that are not easily digested. As a result of the blockage, it enlarges the lymphoid tissue and makes it swell (swelling) making it easy for bacteria to breed. Swelling in the appendix of this if not treated quickly may rupture, causing infection of the lining of the abdomen. The incident was referred to as peritonitis.
How to make a treatment using bitter leaf: Ingredients:
- First method, get 20 pieces of bitter. Wash until it is neat. Then squeezed to take the juice. Drink once a day.
- Second method, Get 30 grams of bitter leaf, tablespoon of honey and 400 ml water to boil. Wash and boil the leaves. Allow the water to dry till become half. Then enter the honey and stir well. Taken three times a day in a state of water is already cold. Do it regularly.
5) Diarrhea: This vegetable plant can be used to treat dysentery, the benefits of bitter leaf for another digestive is to manage diarrhea that we suffer, do the same by making a herbal medicine to overcome bacillary dysentery:
- Provide 9 -15 grams of bitter dried, then boil with 3 cups water then allow to boil till the water in the pot is almost 1 cup. After boiling let it cool then filter properly.
- Drink this boiled concotion water 2 times daily, and 1/2 cup each.
6) Kidney Disease: This is a chronic I’ll be that can be suffered. The kidney has a very important role in the body, which functions as a filter. If kidney disease is left it will be fatal, it may even cause death. Items needed:
- Fresh 15 or 30 grams of dried bitter leaf
- Leaf cat whiskers. Corn hair. With all of the above items, boil with 1 liter of water, reserving half a liter.
- Drink the water.
7) Itching – To treat itching, provide:
I) 1 gram of bitter leaf (II) (III) 1 gram of ginger root fragrant.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth like powder.
- Dilute the concoction with water and then drink 3 times daily.
8) Scabies: Take a handful of bitter and sulfur. Combine the 2 ingredients are then grind until it is smooth. Apply the mixture on the skin of the sick patient. Repeat the treatment until cured.
9) Toothache: Bitter is also useful to treat a toothache, the way is to use:
- A fresh bitter leaf as much as 9-15 g
- Boil with 3 cups of water and allow it to boil untill it is remaining 1 cup
- After boiling allow to cool then filter, taking 2 times a day each 1/2 cup.
10) Increase Endurance: Bitter substances have the typical form of andrographolide. Besides andrographolide, also has panni colin substances. Based on 2 elements, the bitter leaf is also called andrographis paniculate. Andrographolide and panni colin it is specific. Its main function is actually increasing endurance. In united states, bitter serves as medicine for AIDS? Generally to increase endurance, we can drink two cups a day of bitter herbs. How to make:
- Get 10 grams of dried leaves with 4 cups of water and
boil until 2 cups then Drink
Side Effects (Bitter Leaf)
The leaf is safe when consumed in the right proportion. Side effects that may arise in the future are loss of appetite, fatigue, rash, headache, runny nose, diarrhea and vomiting.
Dosage (Bitter Leaf)
Andrographolide elements in the leaf can be provided only around 4-6 percent only. The relatively varied bitter dose to 1,200 mg. Illnesses like fever, and tonsillitis, the dose is 40 mg daily. For children with disorders of the upper respiratory system, will take about 30 mg for up to 10 days.