“Topamax Ruined My Life” is a term that has begun to spread on the Internet, referring to a drug drug normally prescribed to control reactions in patients with epilepsy.
But it is shocking for most of us how can Topamax withdrawal nightmare symptoms ruin someone’s life.
In this post, we will explain to you in detail why people claim that Topamax ruined my life and how Topamax changes takes place.
What is Topamax
Topamax [2,3:4,5-bis-O-(1-methylethylidene)-β-D-fructopyranose sulfamate] (TPM) is a sulfamate derivative of the monosaccharide D-fructose, which is approved for use in several countries, in preventing or reducing the frequency of epileptic seizures.
That is, it is an anticonvulsant drug, with multiple mechanisms of action, effective in the treatment of epilepsy and also in the prophylaxis of migraine.
This drug influences various chemical processes in the brain, reducing the hyperexcitability of nerve cells, which can cause epileptic seizures and migraine attacks.
It can be found in pharmacies with the following dosages: 25mg, 50mg and 100mg pills.
It is indicated, for adults and children, in the treatment of partial epileptic seizures, with or without secondary generalization and primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures. In addition, it can also be prescribed for seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome.
It has been shown to be effective in the long-term treatment of infantile spasms associated with West syndrome.
Topiramate may increase your risk of a medical condition called metabolic acidosis. This can occur without symptoms. Or it may occur with side effects on the kidneys (kidney stones), bones (osteoporosis, increased risk of broken bones) or growth delays.
Symptoms of this condition include:
- Hyperventilation (rapid breathing);
- Loss of appetite;
- Changes in heart rhythm;
- Difficulty thinking clearly.
Vision loss: The medicine can cause a blockage of fluid in the eye, which results in increased pressure in the eye. This can lead to permanent vision loss.
Birth Defects: This medication can cause birth defects if taken during pregnancy. These birth defects can occur early in pregnancy, before a woman even knows she is pregnant.
Women of childbearing potential should use effective forms of birth control while taking topamax. Ask your doctor about other pharmacological options. This medicine can make birth control pills less effective.
Epilepsy and topamax
Epilepsy is a multifactorial disorder of the central nervous system (CNS) characterized by recurrent seizures, which usually result from a burst of excessive neuronal discharges in the brain that disrupt pre-existing behavior.
Therefore, it is reasonable that the neurological effects of topamax derive from multiple mechanisms of action, which result in the attenuation of the excitability of cerebral neuronal pathways, which is why this drug is commonly called a “neurostabiliser”.
What are the side effects of Topamax?
When it comes to topamax side effects, the first question is: does topamax make you sleepy? Yes, because it acts on the central nervous system, this medication can cause drowsiness.
But it’s not just the desire to sleep that the patient can feel. The following are some side effects of topamax:
- Tingling in arms and legs
- loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- change in taste
- Abdominal pain
- Upper respiratory tract infection
- problems with memory
- speech problems
- slow reactions
- Increased bruising
- Increased bleeding (such as nosebleeds)
- eye problems
If these effects are mild, they may disappear within a few days or a few weeks. However, if they become more severe or do not go away, talk to your doctor.
How Topamax ruined my life
The reason why a lot of people consider Topamax ruined my life and they never recommend taking this medication by anyone is because of its side effects. If we talk about the percentage ratio around 60% of people share a positive experience with the drug and 40% report a negative experience. Topamax other than epilepsy is used in migraine prevention. However, the unpleasant side effects of Topamax are quite irritating. Some of the patients had noticed an impact on the body and female hormones as well when consuming Topamax for a long time.
Following are the reviews of some of the people who have had severe side effects from using Topamax.
- A patient who was taking Topamax for migraine issues said that she suffered from nausea and severe dizziness, she even lost her muscle coordination. Topamax resulted in memory loss due to which she barely focused on her education as she was unable to memorize anything. The dysfunctioning of muscle coordination also impacted her daily life task.
- Another Topamax user claims that she used it only for a few days but it was a nightmare for her. Topamax withdrawal nightmares become the most challenging thing for her because she couldn’t sleep well, experienced dizziness, and used to have suicidal thoughts. She even got into bulk eating. Because of this irritation, she became antisocial. Topamax also impacted her menstruation cycle.
- In our third review, regarding Topamax the patient said that she was not able to think properly, was suffering from memory loss, and her speaking power was vanishing. She used to forget sentences and have negative thoughts. This medicine impacted so badly on her studies and social life.
- Another patient said that due to taking Topamax she was getting suicidal thoughts. Topamax acted worst on her stomach and destroyed her sleep cycle. Every day she was irritated and felt lightheadedness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and severe headache. She started feeling the swelling around her body and all the symptoms together used to make her angry according to this use of Topamax, it is not a drug but a poison that should be banned.